With 75% of ICOs now failing the reach their soft cap, the entire market has changed direction. This may also squeeze out the scammers and raise the bar beyond pure start ups entrepreneurs…

Our London correspondent Nick Ayton explores the very essence of an Initial Coin Offering (ICO) and the rapidly maturing market that is already very different from six months ago. It looks like we may soon see the end of the anonymous crowd investing in tokens.

Shifting sands…
There are several forces shaping the ICO market. We will always remember 2017 as the year the ICO took off. Will 2018 look entirely different and will it be better? Will there be more or fewer deals, will the size and scope of deals be bigger and will we see the end of the pre ICO?

A few months ago I predicted there would be 5,000 or even 10,000 ICOs in 2018 but now I remain less sure given the events of the last three months. And yes, what a few months it has been - with BTC breaking out from its resistance, hard forks and continual attacks, and the Ethereum network rocking and creaking as the ICO becomes its main use case. Transaction fees are rising and new kids on the block NEO, amongst others, trying to make up ground and then we have the pending Investor backlash at Tezos. Several more are likely to follow as investors make their voices heard… Crypto is on the march and is now unstoppable, I predict it will reach $500 mln in market cap in early 2018.

Source: https://cointelegraph.com/news/why-ico-landscape-has-shifted-from-bootstrapped-projects